• • • Doula Services • • •
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
• • • Why have a doula? • • •
A Birth Doula . . .
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support
- Provides physical comfort measures
- Provides an objective viewpoint during decision making
- Helps the mother find the infomation she needs to make informed decisions about her care and the care of her baby.
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
- Facilitates the parner to provide emotional and physical support bringing the couple closer together during the birth experience
Studies show that having a woman that is not part of the medical team and not part of the woman’s social network can greatly increase a woman’s chances of delivering their baby without medical interventions. Doulas empower women and free partners to love and nurture at their comfort level.
Source: DONA International
Having a doula at your birth means:
- You and your partner do a better job communicating with medical staff
- You and your partner have professional birth expertise guiding you during your birth
- You release fewer stress hormones
- You reduce the use of pain medications and epidural anesthesia
- You decrease vacuum extraction and forceps assistance
- You lower your chance of having a C-Section
- You have a shorter labor
- You are more successful breastfeeding and for longer
- You reduce your chance of post-partum depression
- You increase your family-baby bonding
- You have a greater satisfaction with your birth experience
- You feel a greater sense of love and support from your partner
As a Doula, I Do Not:
Perform any clinical tasks
You have medical providers that provide those tasks that make sure you and the baby are safe and healthy. I am here to provide support, suggestions for positions to help reduce any pain you may be feeling and to help involve your partner to the extent of their comfort.
Make decisions for you
My goal is to ensure you are educated prior to the time your labor begins. I will gladly help explain procedures and options to you during labor but I do not make decisions for you. You make decisions for your body, your baby and your birth. It’s your choice.
Speak to the staff on your behalf
It is your job to communicate with your birth team about your desires during your labor and delivery. As a doula I provide support. I can help you compose a birth plan that you will be able to provide to your birth team as one way to address your desires for your labor and delivery. I will gladly remind you of your birth plan but you must speak for yourself.
Project any of my own beliefs onto your experience
This is your birth. I’ve had six and they were all what I desired for my growing family. It’s is one of my greatest joys to help you get what you desire for your birth experience.
• • • Packages • • •
Welcoming Doula Package
For parents wanting support and want a little more info during the prenatal period
- All things included in Comfort package plus…
- Free Childbirth Education Classes
- 4 Prenatal visits
- Private birth plan development
- Birth plan worksheet
- Infant care and baby bathing class (included supplies)
- $100 off Placenta Encapsulation
Hospitality Doula Package
For parents who want it all
- All things included in Welcome package plus…
- Free Childbirth Education Classes
- 3 Postpartum visits (birth to 6 weeks)
- Placenta encapsulation
- Keepsake cord